Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Teenagers?

Let me take a moment to describe to you how leadership positions are filled within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  We believe in modern-day revelation.  With this belief comes the belief that God calls people to positions where they are needed.  He also calls them to positions where they will be able to learn something and grow.  These callings or revelations often come through the leader of the congregation, or the Bishop.
For just under a year, I have been serving in what we call the primary.  This is where the children under the age of 12 go to have a class with singing, then we break into smaller classes to have a lesson.  I was with with kids who were 5 at the beginning of this year and will be 6 by the end of the year.  That is my favorite age group.  I just love all their personalities and how much willing they are to learn.  I could not have been happier.
A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to meet with one of the men who asks people if they will accept callings.  This isn't his only responsibility though, so I thought nothing of it.  I went in and met with him and he asked me if I would be willing to accept a calling that would remove me from my position with my little 5 and 6 year-old buddies and put me with the 12 and 13 year-old girls.
Yeah, but that's not all.
This calling would require me to not only be with them on Sundays, but to also take one evening per week, every week, to spend time with these girls.
Hi, my name is Brigette and I student-teach Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:45 to at least 3:30.  On Tuesdays I am in classes from 8:20-4:30.  I have homework coming out of my ears, and I have a job.  How could I responsibly add another commitment to that?
Well, I prayed about it and I really felt like I needed to accept the calling.  I felt like God really needs me to be with those girls.  Whether it is to help them with something I can offer, or to help me through something they can teach me, I have no idea, but I can officially say that I am terrified, but I know what I need to be doing.  Starting in one week, I will be spending a significant amount of time with a bunch of 12 and 13 year-old girls I have never met before.

No comments: