Sunday, September 28, 2014

Making Time

Have you ever noticed that throughout your life there are some things that you are good at one year then terrible at the next? Well, when I was growing up, I was great at saying my prayers before I went to bed, but I never said them in the morning and I consistently struggled with daily scripture study.
A year ago, I had it all down. I never left my house without saying a prayer. I never went to bed without reading scriptures or some modern-day revelations, and I always said prayers before bed.
Now, I read my scriptures every day, but prayer is harder for me to feel motivated to do. I wonder if it is in part because I know that prayer should be a powerful thing, so I don't want to skim over it, but I am always under such a time crunch (yes, even when I'm going to bed) that I don't want to devote 15-30 minutes to anything that isn't on my to-do list for school. Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds. My Father in Heaven has given me everything, yet I can't give Him an honest quarter of an hour? I can't stand that I feel that way, but I do. I feel so rushed to get to my student teaching, then to work, then do homework, then clean my house, then finally collapse into my bed, and repeat it all the next day.
I think I'm going to make an official schedule of things I need to do before going to bed. I'll let you know how that works out, I guess.

No comments: